On November 14, 2016, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to replace the version that expired on March 13, 2016. Between now and January 21, 2017, employers may use either Form I-9; from January 22, 2017 and after, employers may use only the new Form I-9.
According to a press release issued by USCIS, the changes “are designed to reduce errors and enhance form completion using a computer.”
Changes and enhancements include:The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
- Drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates.
- On-screen instructions for each field.
- Easy access to the full instructions.
- An option to clear the form and start over.
For more information, USCIS has established an on-line, “I-9 Central,” accessible here.